- Abstaining from food for spiritual purposes
- Laying aside any pleasurable and/or vital activity for a period of time in order to intensely pursue God.
Examples of Fasting
Scripture has so much to say about fasting- The list of those in the Bible who fasted reads like a “Who’s Who”: Moses, David, Elijah, Esther, Daniel, Paul, and Jesus.
- Exodus 34:28 – “So he [Moses] was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did not eat bread, and he did not drink water.”
It’s how Jesus began His earthly ministry. In the words of John the Baptist – “He must increase and I must decrease…” (John 3:30)
- Luke 4:1-2 – “Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led around by the Spirit in the wilderness for forty days, being tempted by the devil. And He ate nothing during those days, and when they had ended, He became hungry.”
- Luke 4:14a – “And Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit,”